Measuring the Natural Rate of Interest: International Trends and Determinants, with Thomas Laubach and John C. Williams. Journal of International Economics (Elsevier), 108 (2017) S59-S75.
- Overview and Graphs (New York Fed)
- Current Estimates (Excel)
- Replication Materials
- Working Paper Versions:
- Winner of the Journal of International Economics 2017-2018 Bhagwati Prize
- Selected Coverage:
- The Hutchins Center Explains: The neutral rate of interest, October 2018.
- What to do if the usual weapons fail, The Economist, October 2018.
- Central Bankers’ Main Challenge: Staying Relevant, by Greg Ip, The Wall Street Journal, August 2016.
- Speech by Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell: Monetary Policy: Normalization and the Road Ahead, March 2019.
- Selected speeches by former Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen: The Federal Reserve’s Monetary Policy Toolkit: Past, Present, and Future, at Jackson Hole, August 2016; The Economic Outlook and the Conduct of Monetary Policy, January 2017; A Challenging Decade and a Question for the Future, October 2017.
- Selected speeches by former Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer: Low Interest Rates, October 2016; The Low Level of Global Real Interest Rates, July 2017.
- Speech by ECB President Mario Draghi: The International Dimension of Monetary Policy, at the ECB Forum on Central Banking, June 2016.
- Google Scholar Citations
A list of books and papers for which I provided research assistance can be found here.